Saturday, August 8, 2009

Family

I'm baaaack! But not to stay; I'm off to my daughter and son-in-law's cottage on Georgian Bay tomorrow.
I haven't kept the blog up to date as I have been very busy taking care of my other family.
A bit of history: A little more than 5 years ago I connected with a family with a 3 month old baby girl who's mom was having postpartum difficulties, compounded with a blood disorder that left her unable to cope with her new baby and her 8 year old son. They needed a Nanny/Housekeeper. That was right up my alley, as they say. I was at loose ends, having recently retired and missing my busy life. Well, a proposed six month position became 4 years and we became 'family' to each other. For the last year or so we've visited and I've "babysat" the kids. Last Saturday, mom became ill again and had to be hospitalized. She will likely be there for at least another 6 weeks. Well, Marlene to the rescue and so, I've been putting in 10 hour days taking care of the children, catching up on the household chores, etc. It's actually been quite a lot of fun for me. I'll be going back there in 2 weeks, as in the meantime Dad and the kids have a trip out west to Calgary for 2 weeks that's been planned for a year. Even though Mom can't go she wants them to see their Grandmothers, Aunts, Uncles and cousins while she recovers in hospital.
Tomorrow I will be leaving for the beach, sun and sand and so I will not be posting for a week. So, I wish all my friends a great week, with lots of love and fun along with sunshine and lollipops!
*************************************************************************************
My thoughts on the past week: Place a great value on your health, physical and mental. Do everything you need to do to keep healthy. Good health is priceless. It's a gift you give to yourself and those who love you. <3 <3 <3

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I learned this in one fell swoop. Living with lupus so I cherish absolutely ever single day and every moment. You sound very busy but happy. Good for you. Prayers to your friend and her family. Tammy

Bernie said...

You Go Girl and how wonderful that you have been helping family....I wish you happy times at the cottage and a safe and happy trip for your husband and family....
Have a great weeek....:-) Hugs

Wanda..... said...

I hope the young mother's health improves quickly...she must be very thankful for your help with her children.

Blessings each day said...

You have been and will now be missed again, Marlene, but you are doing wonderful things to help people so obviously in need.

I thank the Good Lord that He has made it so that you can also enjoy doing such good things.

Please also take good care of yourself and take lots of pictures to share. Remember, we still need a 'peek' into your garden someday.

blessings and hugs and happy journeying to you,

marcy

Eileen said...

Very nice post! And how nice to be surrounded by family (two families!), and to feel needed, and even more to know that you can fill a need!
You sound joyful!
All the best,
Eileen

Anonymous said...

What an angel you are. I'm so glad the family was able to depend on you to take care of the children while the mother was going through a most difficult time. I'm sorry that she is ill again...and I will remember her and hope that she recovers soon. Thank you for your posts and visits....and know that we will be right here waiting for you when you get back. As important, if not more importantly, I will be praying that you have a wonderful weekend, a safe time with the adopted family, and many many blessings along the way. With love and hugs from me to you.
Smiles,
Jackie

Diana said...

Good Morning Marlene,
I think it's wonderful that you have a second family to care for and love. We are fortunate to have people to love even if they aren't blood related, more so sometimes I think! Enjoy your time keeping busy, I'm a true believer in the idol hands saying. Nice to hear from you again.

Unknown said...

Selfless acts of kindness never need to be rewarded, the reward is in the act itself! You are a wonderful blessing to this family you have taken under your wing and I am sure the mother appreciates all of your love and kindness. I hope she feels better soon! I look forward to your return and let us know how everything works out!.

Anonymous said...

I miss you...and I wanted you to know. I'm thinking of you...
Smiles from Jackie