Saturday, May 22, 2010

The Merrie Month of May: the Two-Four weekend that starts the Summer!


Hi again everyone!  Thanks for all your encouraging words, expressions of friendship and love.
 I've been outside in the back garden today and it's perfect weather for planting, weeding, and watering.  Just a sprinkling of rain to cool me down and enough sun to need a sunblock on my aging skin. 
Up here in Canada, aka The Great White North, on the weekend nearest the 24th of May. it's a tradition, in fact, a must, to first, gather at the nearest greenhouse or store that stocks plants, and spend  a tremendous amount of $$$$ buying them.  The second part of this is to dig, plant, curse one's overbuying of these 'damn things', down a few beers (hence the nickname for this holiday "Two-Four") and just get the buggers in the ground!  Admittedly, the end result can be enjoyed while putting a steak or hamburger on the Barbie, and by that time one is so tired and/or  tipsy that the song "Everything is Beautiful" plays in the windmills of our minds.  So, now my break is over, back to the garden and all that lovely stuff to muck about in.  I love being a Dirty Girl!!!! xoxo<3
P.S. Check out a new link on my sidebar...Rinkly Rimes.  She's sooo talented!
PS again:  I neglected to mentions that up here we are celebrating a long weekend that used to be in honour of  Queen Victoria's birthday.  It still is called Victoria Day by some and now we are honouring Queen Elizabeth on this weekend.even tho' it isn't really her Birth Day.  Lots of fireworks just like the US Memorial Day.

3 comments:

Jackie said...

It sounds like you are having much fun, Ann! Go, go, GO GIRL!
Enjoy digging in the dirt..!
Love,
Jackie

Rinkly Rimes said...

I just looked-in on you and I discovered a lovely compliment!!!! Thanks a lot. Are you sure you're not Australian? You'd fit in here perfectly with your attitude to life, getting the hands dirty and downing a beer! You'll read about MY garden frustrations today!

Diana said...

Hi Mar! What a fun weekend. I read about the two-four on someone elses blog. So glad that you were able to enjoy the gardening, it is one of my favorite things too! And I so loved your new glasses LOL! I have been following Rinkly just recently, she is awesome. Have fun my dear, I'll be thinking of you as I am pulling weeds, weeds and more weeds!
Love Di ♥